Spaghetti Heads

Since I've started blogging, I've been looking around at some other blogs by moms with bento lunch boxes. It's interesting to see what ideas everyone can come up with. Shannon at http://flytomywindow.blogspot.com/ had the cutest post about Spaghetti Dogs. And though I'm not a fan of the hot dog (traumatic childhood experience), my kids are. I don't buy them very often, so it's really a treat when they get them. Fortunately, hot dogs have come a long way since my childhood and can actually be fairly nutritious.We buy natural hot dogs without nitrates and preservatives. Coleman Natural Beef Hot Dogs are our favorite.

I planned on making the spaghetti dogs as is, but it kinda took off from there. As I was starting to assemble them, I decided that the spaghetti would make super cute hair. So I used the ends of the hot dog and kind of experimented with the amount of spaghetti. (My 3 year old was more than happy to gobble the rejects). I added a cherry tomato slice for the mouth and capers for the eyes and affixed them with tiny pieces of uncooked pasta. The trick to doing the hair is to put a ton of pasta in the spaghetti. I tried a few with less spaghetti and they were fine (see the one on the left) but were better with more (the middle and right). So for her last lunch before the Labor Day weekend, she gets the beloved hot dog.



Tomato Basil Salad with Balsamic and Olive Oil, Whole Wheat Blueberry Almond Muffin, Homemade Applesauce, Spaghetti Heads


Precooked spaghetti heads...these were the "first generation". Add about three times that much spaghetti for best results.

4 comments:

pam said...

You are amazing. I am feeling like a horrible mom because I dread making lunches and they are so boring. Hopefully you're wonderful creations will motivate me to want to make better lunches.

Patrizzia said...

Awesome. I have seen the spaghetti all the way through the hotdog but never as hair. Going to have to try this one.

Shannon said...

awhhhh cute idea to make them little people! Thanks for the link, and I'll have to make your version next time! :-) Love your blog. I've been dreaming of buying 2 Laptop Lunch boxes for my boys for over a year now...I guess I need to just fork out the $ and DO IT!

Astrid said...

Those are so cute! I might have to try them!

Post a Comment